WordPress has a default post type called Post. To maintain the post in WordPress, there is an option to add categories. The category is the best method to organize WordPress posts. Categories and Tags are two pre-defined taxonomies in WordPress. Not only categories, but tags are also useful to maintain the posts. Generally, the website usually has lots of contents, so these two taxonomies are very helpful to organize the posts.
For instance, if you are going to start a WordPress blog related to news your possible categories are, sports, national, international, culture, environment, technology and so on. Generally, one website has limited numbers of categories whereas tags are more. In this blog post, we are going to share you about how to add, edit and delete categories in WordPress.
By default, WordPress has Uncategorized as a default category. You can easily change the default categories from Settings > Writing from admin panel.
Adding a new Category
Well, we can add, edit and delete categories via two different methods. You can add category while adding a new post or you can add from the posts section of the admin panel. We are going to describe both methods one by one.
Adding from Posts Section of Admin Menu
- Login to your WordPress website
- Go to the Admin Dashboard
- And then, go to Posts > Categories
- Write the name of the category
- Customize your slug(optional), otherwise, default slug will be there.
- If you want to make this category as a subcategory, select the previous category for the parent, otherwise, leave it.
- Write some description of the category. ( optional)
- At last, click on Add New Category to add the category.
- Finally, a new category is added successfully.
You can see the above screenshot to know more about it.
Adding category while adding the post
This is another simple and easy method to add a new category in WordPress. If you are using Gutenberg Editor, the appearance of the dashboard is different. First, we will see adding categories in the classic editor.
- In the beginning, go to Admin Dashboard
- Go to Posts > Add New – See here how to add the post in WordPress.
- Enter the post title
- Add the content for the post
- Set the featured for the post – You can see the featured image option on the bottom right corner.
- Above the featured image section, you can see the section to maintain the categories.
- You can select among the available categories, otherwise, Add New Category.
- After clicking on Add New Category, you will get an option to add the name of the category.
- Now, click on the Add New Category button to add it.
Edit WordPress Category
Like adding a category, editing a WordPress category is also easy. From the admin panel, go to Posts and Categories. Hover on the categories which you want to edit. An edit option will appear there, click on it and edit the category. You can edit the name, slug, description, managing parent categories there.
Don’t worry, if you delete the category, the posts of that category will be automatically assigned to the default category. You can change the default category from the Settings > Writing easily. See the screenshot above.
To delete the category, go to Posts and then categories. Hove on the category which you want to delete. A delete option will appear there. Click on it to delete the category.
Adding, editing and deleting the category in WordPress is very easy. You can try yourself once. Don’t hesitate to comment us below if you have any queries.