Medium is a social content platform which is preferred by most of the blogger. It is a place where your words matter and reflect meaning features. Though Medium is used by a huge blogger, it is not able to gain as much popularity as WordPress did.
WordPress is one of the best platforms to date which is preferred in huge numbers. It provides several amazing features to its users with which they can create a powerful website with eye-catching content. In Medium, we cannot get control over the uncertainty of publishing on a 3rd party platform. This is the main reason for moving your blog to WordPress.
As a blogger, we want to make our content powerful, isn’t it? We want to control all the fate actions. No one to be stuck in “Black Mirror”. So if you want to make your blog flexible and user-friendly, you have to move to WordPress.
Reason for moving your blog to WordPress
- WordPress provides better functionality with various plugins
- With WordPress, you will get full control over promotions
- WordPress comes with huge monetization options than Medium
- It is very easy to use
- Incredibly powerful, and easy to customize
Now let’s discuss the overall process from which you can easily move your blog from Medium to WordPress.
Steps to move the blog to WordPress
Step 1. Install and Setup WordPress
To move your blog to WordPress, at first you need to install and setup the WordPress for your blog. For this, you required a web hosting account to store your all files. And another domain name which will be your site address on the internet. For example, afthemes.com is the address of this site.
You can get any domain name and host as per your requirement. Normally, a typical domain name costs around $14.99 / year whereas the hosting starts from $7.99 per month. You can browse for the best WordPress hosting companies or also can consult us, we will help you to find the best one with effective costs and offers.
Till now, you have done with your domain name and web hosting, now it’s time to install WordPress. There are several hosting companies that preferred single click installation. If you find that one its great or you can go through the usual installation process.
Now you finally have installed your WordPress with your domain name and hosting. Let’s move for the next step.
Step 2. Exporting Your Data from Medium
Well, previously we used to go through a compatible format to export the data from Medium to WordPress. But it seems quite difficult unmanaged. So to get rid of it, we will refer Medium to the WordPress importer tool. As it is a free online tool, you can move your blog online without paying any costs. And the best part is, you get all of your data in the original form without any data loss.
If the URL of your Medium blog is a custom domain name with URLs like http://example.com or https://something.example.com then simply enter your URL name and address. If not then follow the given steps:
- Login to your Medium site
- At the top right corner, click on your profile picture
- Click on setting
- Go to the account section
- Click on “Download your information”
- To download the file on zip format click on “Download.zip”
- On the next page click on the export button
- The zip file will be sent to the registered email address
- Check your email
- Follow the link in the email to download your Medium export file
- Convert the downloaded file to XML files with the help of “ Medium to WordPress importer” tool
- Click on the ‘Export My Medium Website’ button
- Hit the export button again
- Finally, you will get the file for download
Step 3. Importing Your content
From the above steps, you have exported your content to the format compatible with WordPress. Now you have to import your content to the WordPress blog.
- Visit the WordPress admin area
- Go to WordPress dashboard
- Click on tools and click on import
- Get the WordPress importer tool
- Click on “Run Importer”
- Upload and import the XML file
- Assign the author’s name. You may keep the previous one or make a new
- Check the box next to ‘Download and import file attachments’ option to fetch images
- Click on the ‘Install Now’ link and submit the form
In this way, you can successfully import your content to the new WordPress blog. After this don’t forget to check your post page to see whether all of your contents are there or not.
In case, your import fails in the middle of the procedure, do not need to worry. You can start it from the beginning again. And the best part is you will not lose any data.
Step 4. Importing Your Images
While importing your content, sometimes the images were misplaced. So you need to recover all those images and import your all images to your WordPress blog. For this follow the given steps:
- Go to media
- Visit the library to check your images
- In the case of image missing, install and activate the “Auto Upload Images” plugin
- Update the posts containing the external images
In this way, you can trigger and fetch all of your images and make your blog more powerful.
Step 5. Setting up Redirects
This step is only for the custom domain not for medium.com URL. Get your redirects setup with these easy steps:
- get all URLs of your Medium articles
- save them in a text file
- start setting up redirects
Step.6 Installing WordPress Themes and Plugins
To customize your WordPress blog website, you need to implement several themes and plugins as per your requirement. WordPress comes with thousands of free and premium themes and plugins. So visit the WordPress directory to get the right and affordable choice for you.
With theme and plugin implementation, you can customize your site with attractive and powerful background, add widgets, edit the menu, and more. Not only that, but you can also add About and Contact pages so that your visitor can communicate with you.
Finally, we did with the overall description and steps for moving your blog from medium to WordPress. With the above steps, we can do your tasks very easily without losing any original data. Get the best themes and plugins for your blog and make your website more attractive and powerful.
I hope this article is helpful for you and it may help you to move your blog to WordPress with easy access. If you are getting any trouble regarding this article, feel free to send your reviews in our comment section. Keep visiting our site for a more interesting article.