Do you want to know how to display an Instagram feed by creating a Facebook App? If not, in this post, we’ll learn how to set up Facebook apps for use with Instagram’s Basic Display API.
At first, to create an Instagram app, we’ll create a Facebook app, add Instagram to our Facebook app. Create an Instagram app on our Facebook app, and launch our own Instagram account as a tester for our new Instagram app.
In the most recent update of the Instagram API, a Facebook app is required to use the Instagram Basic Display API. The Instagram Basic Display API enables us to access (read-only) any Instagram account that provides access to our App.
We can obtain information such as user info, user posts list and more.
Steps for App Creation:
Step 1: Create a Facebook App. Go to the developer’s apps page of Facebook and click create an app.
Step 2: Configure newly created Facebook App
- Go to “Settings > Basic”.
- Add domain(s) where the App will going live.
- Scroll down, click “Add Platform” and select “Website.” Add your domain to where the app is going to live.
Step 3: Adding the Instagram App to Facebook App
- You will see the products menu on the left sidebar and click the plus icon.
- Then click the setup button of the Instagram.
- After clicking the Setup button, you will see the Instagram Settings menu on the left side of the app.
- Click basic display submenu and it will take you to create a new app option page.
Under the basic display section, you need to configure a few settings which are the following:
- Valid OAuth Redirect URIs: This is the URL that Instagram will redirect the user back to after our app has been authenticated..
- Deauthorize Callback URL: Domain of your website.
- Data Deletion Request URL: Domain of our website.
Step 4: Add Test User
- To test with the Instagram Basic Display API, we will add our Instagram App as a test user.
- Navigate to the Roles section of the left-hand sidebar and add yourself to the Instagram Testers section.
- Once you have added test user you will see tester status pending. To accept the tester invites
- login to your Instagram account in web browser. Go to your profile and click on the Settings gear icon,
- click “Apps and Websites”, and select the “TESTER INVITES” tab. Click the “Accept” button.
That’s how we set up a Facebook App and an Instagram App so that we can use the Instagram Basic Display API. Because we’re a test user and have authorized the app, we can use the Instagram Basic Display API to get profile information and posts from Instagram accounts!