In the case of WordPress, you have the option to change the login password. Being administrators or users, your website will always concern about the secured password. It is always recommended that the password should be strong. Lots of people use a simple password so that hackers might easily identify it. Hence, don’t use a simple password and if you have doubt about your password security, we are going to share you about how to change the password on your WordPress website.
Among the various methods of changing the password, here we are going to share a simple and easy method of changing the password. We believe that this post will be helpful for you.
Methods to Change Login Password in WordPress
There are various methods of changing the password in WordPress. Among them, we are going to share you 2 easy methods.
- Via the Admin Dashboard
- From the database directly
Note: Changing the password from the database is not recommended. But sometimes it is necessary as well. Below we will share you more in detail.
Via Admin Dashboard
Changing the password from the admin dashboard is really easy. Here are the steps,
- From the Users Section of Admin panel go to Your Profile
- Scroll down to Account Management section
- After then, click on Generate Password
- You can set that password directly or you can erase and write your own password too.
- When you set the weak password, you need to confirm the weak password by selecting Confirm Weak Password
- Click on Save Profile to change the password.
Now your password is successfully changed. You cannot change the user name though.
In the case of the admin role, they have a special privilege that they can change the password of users as well. Not only change the password, but they can also remove and edit the users.
If you are admin and you have to change the password for specific users, follow the below basic steps.
- As mentioned above, go to the Users section of the admin panel.
- Click on Users and select All Users
- After that, hover over the users of which you want to change the password.
- Edit menu will appear there and then click it.
- Again, go to the Account Management section.
- Click on Generate Password.
- You can save that generated password or can customize it.
- Finally, click on Save Profile to change the password.
From the Database Directly
Sometimes when you have only one administrative user and you forget your password to log in. In that case, you can either recover your password via email or need to edit the password directly from the database. If you are not able to recover your password via email, you can edit it directly via the database.
- Go to your Cpanel. ( You can consult with hosting provider about the Cpanel details)
- Login to it and go to the Database section
- Click on PHPMyAdmin
- Select the database from the left-hand side column.
- Go to the wp_users table and edit the user of which you want to edit the password.
After then, click on edit and from the user_pass row, select the MD5 from the Function column. After that, remove the previous text from value column of user_pass and write your own password.
Next, click on Go button at the end to save the changes.
Now your password is successfully changed. It is always recommended that changing password from admin dashboard is safe and easy. However, when you can change it from the database if you have a basic idea about it.
If you have any confusion regarding this, please comment below. We will guide you with possible ideas based on your problem.